In Europe, this unique category plays a vital role for the economy:
- Family businesses account for an important part (on average 40 – 50% of all jobs) of European private employment.
- Family businesses reinvest profits responsibly preferring equity as opposed to debt financing.
- Act as responsible owners because of their long-term strategy towards stakeholder interests, including employees, customers, shareholders and local communities.
- Transmission of family values with a high sense of social responsibility.
- Special concern for the local or regional base.
- Natural incubators of an entrepreneurial culture, they foster the next generation of European entrepreneurs.
- Stewards of social and economic capital from one generation to the next.